If you are considering back pain surgery then you may need to consider both the pros and cons that come along with this type of surgery. Back pain surgery can be very intense pending on the type of surgery that you have to have. It can also be invasive or extremely non-invasive. You will want to be sure to explore all of your options before you embark on surgery. If you are experiencing severe back pain, then you will want to consult with your doctor or neurologist. They may even refer you to a neurosurgeon, which will then go over your options for you in regards to back pain treatment options as well as surgery options pending on your case.
Pending the type of back pain surgery that you have, there are many pros and cons to weigh out as with trying to choose whether or not to complete any type of optional surgery. If you are debating your next step or trying to figure out what is right for you, then you will want to discuss the options with your neurosurgeon in order to decide what is necessary for your health. Listed here are both the pros and the cons for electing to get back surgery for your back pain.
Here are the pros for choosing to get back pain surgery:
- It can treat nerve pain from herniated discs.
- It can treat a number of other conditions that may not be treated by other methods. Some of these conditions include spinal stenosis, a tumor in your spine, an infection in your spine, tingling in your legs or lower back, nerve pain, a spinal fracture, and weakness in your back or legs.
- It can heal the problem.
- You can alleviate the pain. One of the greatest pros for choosing to get surgery for your back pain is that you can alleviate the pain. You can find ways to alleviate the back pain through other methods but these methods may only work as a band-aid. It is important to make sure that you are solving the problem rather then just masking the symptoms.
- You can resume your normal life.
Here are the cons for choosing to get back pain surgery:
- It can cost a lot. Of course, if you elect to get any surgery then it may cost you a lot pending on your insurance and your financial situation. It is important to discuss financing options as well as your insurance options when choosing the right neurosurgeon to help you with your needs.
- It may not be covered by insurance.
- It can have a long recovery period.
As you can see, there are both pros and cons that come along with back pain surgeries and treatments. If you are looking for the right neurosurgeon to discuss your options, then you will want to reach out to the experts over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates. They are the leading experts in spinal care and can help you find the right options for your needs.